Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Work + Fun Summits Across New South Wales + Queensland

Attending a summit for work and then having a summit of a good time after work in May!

Four days before I was due to fly to Sydney, I didn't have any accommodation booked. So typical. I decided to send an email to my Sydney colleagues via our internal miscellaneous forum to check if anyone would like to rent their room out for the weekend. Within an hour, I got an email from a colleague, Miklos, who was going away for the weekend with his wife and is willing let me stay at their house in Annandale. He was going to leave on Thursday and I will arrive on Friday so we need to move fast if I want to stay at theirs. The only thing was I needed to help them do during my stay is to feed the fish and pet (and NOT feed) the neighbour's cat. I was definitely happy to help with the pets - especially a cat! - and was hoping that the rent won't cost me an arm and a leg.

"Leave the animals in my good care. Can I check how much will the rent be for the weekend?"
"Let me check with the wife."
"Sure."
"Wife says no rent."

SAY WHAT?! The only thing I know about Miklos is that he works at Google Sydney. I have never worked with him or spoken to him before. NOW, HE IS GOING TO LET ME STAY AT HIS PLACE FOR FREE! AND I AM GOING TO HAVE THE WHOLE PLACE TO MYSELF!

Some people just have all the luck in the world. :P

After I got over the initial delightful surprise, Miklos proceed to make sure that he has all the info I needed when I arrive at his apartment - sending me a video of his place, giving me info on transportation, instructions on how to feed the fish, letting me know where to find keys.

To abruptly end the story about Miklos and his wife, the fish survived under my care and the cat left me broken-hearted.

After the work summit, Sissy and I flew to Brisbane where the roadtrip began and the boys watched out for trouble (read: us)!

The 4-day trip took us across Brisbane and Byron where we had all the time to do all things silly and girly - we drove a huge rental, got lost deliberate and not, took plenty selfies, hiked along the beaches and hills, shopped to our hearts' delights, got sun-kissed while dozing, talked to random people, danced on gorgeous heels, ate till our tummies burst, drank like ladies, break into laughing fits, flirted with beautiful strangers, made out with others, and had a hell of a amazing time!

All good things must come to an end. When Sissy and I parted ways at the airport, we hugged so tightly that we know this friendship will last f.o.r.e.v.e.r. :)

No comments: