Tuesday, 20 October 2009

He Is Not a Conductor. I Am Not a Musician.

 When Sistic sent over a pair of free Xavier Le Roy's $15-a-pop Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring) tickets, I didn't think much of it because it was to be held in the Studio Theatre. I thought to myself that if this show ain't good enough for the main theatre, it can't be too good. I did not read up on reviews or even the synopsis of the performance for I had very low expectations.


Before anyone says anything, do remember low expectation is not necessarily a bad thing for any pleasantness is a bonus. I remember not too long ago while at an extended stay a certain medical centre, I had an unexpected visitor and I felt a rush of ataraxia. Then again, it could really just be the morphine.

But back to what I set out to write about, shall we?

Ten minutes into 8pm, I was getting impatient. "How could they start a 45-min show late?" I said absently while glancing at my watch. Suddenly, the lights dimmed, the audience silenced, and a lone man walked to the middle of the bare stage. Then it begin -- the expansion of the boundaries of what my little brain had thought was dance. Xavier, the faux conductor, had engaged the audience to be faux musicians. With that, he allowed me to see musical notes dancing in the air with his movements. When his fingers "opened", I saw blooming of roses. When his fingers "listened", I heard whispers of the wind. When his body "jumped", I saw the flames of the fire.

I forgot big surprises come in small packages. I ain't no art connoisseur and sometimes, words fail me. That's why you'd have to watch this video to fully appreciate it.



On a separate note, I wonder if Lan Shui caught the performance. If he did, will he be inspired to do the same? Maybe then I might be a bigger fan of SSO - not that Lan Shui'd care anyway.

No comments: