Wednesday, 31 January 2007

Telly Is Trying To Tell Me Something

At 3.30pm today (Tuesday), I switched off my telly and put on a pair of skinny jeans. Yes, you read right. J-e-a-n-s: Jeans. I bet no one can remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans. Hell, I bet no one can even remember the last time I'm in anything other than a skirt or dress. Then, I stood in front of my shoe cabinet for a good ten minutes. Why? Simply because I don't have any shoes that'll go with the jeans! Yes, as extensively as my shoe collection is, it is apparently not extensive as it should be. I need more shoes. Then again, I always do. Now, can you sense that telly is trying to tell me something? I should have stayed at home to accompany telly.

After much contemplation, I decided to throw on a pair of ballet flats (which I crossed my fingers and hope goes with the jeans) and left the house. Only then did I realised that I've been back to my sunny island home for a week now and, ironically, never had I once stepped out of the house in broad daylight since. I went out a couple of times and always, it was during when the rest of the world (of no-life working people) is asleep. The Sun was, of course, shining brightly (too brightly, in fact) and immediately, I should know better than to continue my journey. The Sun and I aren't exactly best friends; the almanac indicates it clashes with my melanin. Now, can you sense that telly is trying to tell me something? I should have stayed at home to accompany telly.

Next, the bus arrived at the bus stop before I did and I had to run for it. I hate running and worse, running for buses. It is, in my humble (not) opinion, that running for buses is one of the unglamorous things a girl can ever do. If I wasn't already running late ('cos of shoe decision; and no pun intended here), I would have most certainly waited for the next bus. Upon sitting down, it hit me that I had left my cell phone at home. Yes, my cell phone: a girl's best friend. No, wait. Diamonds are then a girl's best friend. Let's see, if I have a diamond encrusted phone, does it mean the phone is my best friend because of the diamonds or are the diamonds my best friend because of the phone? But, I digress. Now, can you sense that telly is really trying to tell me something? I really should have stayed at home to accompany telly.

Well, the only reason I left the comfort of home was to deposit some money into my bank account. Standing in front of the atm, I realised I don't have my atm card or my account number (which was in my cell phone). I can't believe my luck! Lousy luck, that is. I bet you can't either. I knew by then I really really really should have read the signs and stayed at home to accompany telly. Telly is sooo obviously trying to tell me it wants my company real bad.

Late evening, I met up with Qiaojing, Ying and Weihao for pool. It was great fun. We always seem to have endless lame jokes to share during pool. I haven't laughed so much and so hard in three months. I don't know if it's the filthy unfiltered air or the dust-saturated felt that turned us into lame ducks all of a sudden. One thing I know for sure though, I can always count on my best friends (although, too, made of carbon, but not as desirable as diamonds) to make my day.

I just read that the stars say, "More than anything else, you need to connect with people who make you happy today".

I did. And I'm glad I did.

No comments: